Thursday, August 5, 2010

Television in Bangladesh

Here's a filler topic....what's on TV in Bangladesh (at least in Chittagong). I know, I know...I haven't had a TV for years, and I don't watch it that much, but the lack of friends and social life has given me a reason to get hooked on a couple shows. First, off most of the stations actually come from the Bengal region of India, not Bangladesh itself.
Now, a rundown of the offers:

* MTV--the Indian version. Lots of bollywood-style and Bhangra dancing and modern Indian music.
* Channels 54-35 (all of them) are the all the same channel called PeaceTV--it's in English and their programming is all muslim-based and teaches about how to be a good and peaceful muslim. There's a lot of Q'uran reading and lectures on various aspects of Islam-I haven't spent much time watching it, but it seems interesting......
* The 'american' channels: they're called ZSTudios, Star TV and Star movies, HBO and AXN. They show various TV series and movies. I got hooked on Glee and they show the Simpsons. There are lots of other crap shows I don't watch as well (sitcoms, detective dramas, etc). Unfortunately, the HBO has a TON of commercials unlike in the US.
* Discovery channel--this seems like maybe the british version? They show a LOT of awesome nature shows narrated by funny Brits like BBC earth and Life.
* Fox History and Entertainment--this station seems really weird and they have really strange re-creations of various times throughout history. For example I saw one where this guy was watching some dinosaurs from behind a tree?!? And one about neanderthals living nearby some more advanced humans. They seem so fake and fantastical and I suspect it's a thinly veiled christian-based version of history, but I haven't given it enough time to figure it out. I'm just very suspicious of any channel with "Fox" in the name.....
* BBC world news--would be my main source of news but they have so many commercials and they just repeat the same 3 headlines over and over every 5 or 10 minutes.
* Aljazeera news in english out of Qatar--my main source of news (aside from the internet). The US media has tried to make everyone believe Aljazeera is some sort of terrorist news network, but it's totally not. In fact, most of their headlines and footage are the same as BBC. They just don't repeat them as often.
* Sports channels: ESPN--definitely not the American version, they show a lot of Soccer (all the worldcup games!), and now the Spanish La Liga, some tennis, etc. It's all in English. Then there's two entire stations that are all cricket. All the time. People says it's "jsut like baseball" but I don't really see it. Finally, another sports station that shows terrible western sports like motorbike racing and WWF wrestling.
* A bunch of other Bangla language stations that I don't watch. There is one that sometimes subtitles in English and since i'm taking Bangla class, I'll watch for a little while to try and pick some things up. It doesn't really seem to be working very well, though.

A note on commercials: apparently Hindustani Unilever makes all the personal care products in the subcontinent (that advertise on TV anyway). Pretty much EVERY SINGLE PRODUCT has a skin lightener in it, so I'm glad I brought my own soap and lotions. That stuff is TOXIC. The rest of the commercials are usually for laundry soap, shampoo with oil in it (so you don't have to add the 2nd coconut oil step yourself), or spray deodorants. There's a few commercials for scooters or water purifiers also. That's about it. The same ones over and over and over.

And one more comment about the editing--they edit out EVERYTHING that's the least bit "sexy" beyond a rom-com kiss. As soon as the couple kisses for about 3 seconds, it cuts to the next scene. Also, almost all the english channels also have english subtitles (?) and they will allow all kinds of swear words to be said out loud (except the F-word), but they translate the writing into more friendly terms.

So, don't let this long writeup make you think I'm watching a bunch of TV--it iz more than I did in the US, but compared to your average American, it's very little.

No comments:

Post a Comment