The 3rd world internet connection isn't allowing me to upload the photos or short video I have, so I'll just write a quick update.
Today I went to run errands with my Bengali neighbor, Nasima. I had some things for the tailor and to return something at a store that was broken when I bought it. I also wanted to buy some speakers so I don't have to listen to my laptop sound anymore.
I'm really glad she went with me because the tailor was going to initially refuse to do anything for me (ironically their name is Happy Tailor) because they're so busy in the lead-up to Eid (big muslim holiday that I will write about when the time comes around).
Eid comes after Ramadan, which is from mid-August to mid-September this year. So literally we're six or seven weeks ahead of Eid and they're already so busy sewing new celebration clothes for people. She convinced him I was willing to wait, so he took the two larger projects I had. It is going to take four weeks for them to alter a pair of pants for me and to sew me a new pair. Meanwhile I had to leave him the only pair of "western" pants I brought with me so they could use them for the pattern. In total, it will cost me just over 7 dollars for those two projects! And I only paid $2.00 for the fabric for the new pants! As a side note, I will be definitely be getting some clothes made for myself before I come back to America! I brought a couple of sewing patterns with me, so maybe I will even get the tailors to make them for me. Hell, maybe I'll get them to make me two or three of everything!
The electronics guy was a lot nicer--he told Nasima that even though I was a foreigner, he was giving me the local price. (1700 taka, or $24 for a subwoofer and two small speakers). I only had 150 taka in my wallet, and his credit card machine wasn't working. So I said I would come back tomorrow with money to pay him. He said I looked trustworthy and offered for me to take the speakers home today and come back later to pay him! So now I'm listening to some music and actually hearing it. Thank you Mr. Speaker Man! He also gave me their card and said they would fix them for free if anything ever went wrong. So I will be telling all my friends about that awesome store and giving him more business.
That's the short update for now. I'll try again with the couple photos soon.
Monday, August 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment