Sunday, August 29, 2010

Some more food awesomeness

I had two great dinners last night and tonight.
First, last night: one faculty's cook helper made half and one faculty member made the other half. The menu:
  • chicken pulau (tasty rice w/ caramelized onions and boiled egg on top)
  • SPICY fish curry-these are so spicy I think so you just eat with a lot of rice to balance and you don't need too much of the meat dishes.
  • SPICY veg curry-
  • raita (yogurt & cucumber salad)
  • green salad - had kolme green (they call it water spinach), tomato and avocado w/ citrus dressing
  • sardine & potato frittata
  • carrot cake with real cream cheese frosting (cream cheese costs about $8 here, so it was a REAL treat!) baked in her toaster oven
There was also mint-lime juice. Thanks for cooking all day, Shahirah and thanks for hosting and sharing your awesome Bengali cook's abilities with us, Andrea!

Then tonight I dined with a different faculty who has a full-time cleaner/cook. She is amazing.
The menu;
  • daal - yellow lentil stew
  • red rice - like brown rice but with a reddish hull
  • roti - flour tortillas
  • okra - I usually don't like okra, but this Hindi lady has me turning over a new leaf!
  • shrimp and pumpkin curry - SO YUMMY with lots of cinnamon, masala spices and slight sweet tang
  • fresh mango for dessert - I thought mango season was finishing, but she found one of the best tasting one's so far!
The home-cooked Bengali food is really really good. I totally feel like royalty having a cook prepare it for us! And all the flavors together are amazing! I'm considering getting a cook like one day per week to get a little more in my life.....

No comments:

Post a Comment