Monday, July 26, 2010

$Tk.$ Money! $Tk.$

Here are a couple photos of the money here--it's called taka and the exchange is 70 taka to $1. Of course, the $ symbol isn't used here--prices are written as: Tk.300 (or whatever the price might be).
Here are two images of the front (?) and back of the bills. Many of the same denominations have different images on them, these were just the cleanest ones I had in my wallet. Sorry the Tk5 is so dirty--they don't use that one very much and I don't even know what color they're supposed to be because everyone I've gotten has looked like this or worse. Oddly all the Tk2 bills I've gotten are super brand-new and shiny. Maybe they're replacing the 5 with the 2?
You'll notice they also have different Bangla script symbols for numbers. There is one that looks exactly like an 8, but don't be confused--it's actually 4. There's also one that looks almost exactly like a 9 but it's actually 7. Convenient.
All the bills have a watermark and can you see what it is?.....
That's right--it's a Bengal tiger. Many (most) of the bills have little holes over the watermark area--I guess because the paper isn't as sturdy there.
There are also Tk5 and Tk2 coins, but I've only received about 2 or 3 coins since I've been here and didn't have any in my wallet when I took these photos. I'm not aware of any one-taka money and if you're owed 1 taka change at the grocery store, for instance, they give you a piece of candy instead.

2 comments:

  1. Funny about giving you candy instead of 1 "penny" in change. They would always do that at colmados and they'd give me those horrible Halls cough drops. Yech. I'd always say, "no, keep the 'change'"

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh... there are holes because, people in the bank and finance department or people who handle finance in different institutions tend to either staple a bundle of money or sew them! i know it just sounds super weird. but thats what they do here...

    ReplyDelete