Friday, July 2, 2010

some views from my window

Since i've been inside mostly, I've been watching out my windows a lot. They're building a new bridge over the river, so here's an image of their progress of repaving the road that leads up to it--they're breaking the old road apart by hand with pickaxes, which is better than having a jack-hammer outside my window, but it must be some hard work in this heat! You can see the new bricks being laid on the left side.

Here's an image of the apartment building where people throw their trash out the window into the river. See it all piled up on the ledges? I couldn't believe it when I saw a big garbage pail being shaken out this morning and trash raining down.....
One a side note, the river looks cleaner today for some reason --it has changed color a few times, mostly it's been grayish, sometimes a reddish color, probably from dumping brick dust into it. I'm not quite sure why, but i've seen them grinding up the reddish color bricks into piles of red dust?
And here's a short movie of the mosque during some prayer services. It took a super-duper long time to upload, so enjoy! The mosque is the green-painted building and it has loudspeakers on top so everyone can hear the call to prayer and service. It is pouring rain but it's apparently a popular spot, because these guys were all lined up outside. They put some burlap down so they didn't have to kneel in the mud. I hope it's not disrespectful to videotape this--I still don't know enough about Islamic culture for my liking, especially since I now live in a muslim country.....

No comments:

Post a Comment