1.) There are no plastic bags here - there are a few very small ones for produce, but someone told me they're banned here. It's awesome because most all of the garbage is compostable. Very unlike other 3rd world countries I've been to with plastic bags EVERYWHERE. Instead they use net/mesh bags or these super cheap fabric-like bags of some unknown material.
2.) World cup: first, that i have ESPN and I can watch the games at my house! Yay! Second, everyone here is either a fan of Argentina or Brazil. There are flags everywhere. I counted 27 Argentina flags from my window yesterday, 3 Bangladesh flags and 7 Brazil flags. A Bangladeshi told me it's because the South Americans play 'the most beautiful' football. Some of the Brazil/Argentina flags also have a small Bangladesh flag superimposed on them, which I think is awesome.
3.) I haven't seen a traffic accident yet, which is unexpected considering the absolute absence of traffic lights and insane number and types of vehicles all swerving around each other/driving in the wrong lane.
4.) The power outages: I was expecting them and they happen a lot, but my apartment is wired such that my internet, lights and fans only go off for around 20-60 seconds until the generator kicks in--I just can't use anything that needs to be plugged in.
I'm sure there will be many more unexpected things to come, but these are the few I've encountered so far.
Friday, July 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

SO loving the blog!! It's really unfortunate cause we don't have internet yet so I'm just reading it since you've been in Chittagong now while I'm at the library. Amazing they've managed to get rid of plastic bags, that should be something replicated everywhere! Looks like from the pictures it's pretty full of people :)
ReplyDelete