Friday, December 10, 2010

an update and amazing Flickr stream

Things continue to remain insanely busy (only some final report grading and a final exam to proctor and grade.....) meanwhile, I continue to pile up photos to put here...
But I've also been mastering the fine balance of procrastination/productivity, so to avoid the time-consuming issue of organizing and uploading photos, I will give you a link to a local photographer's Flickr stream --I met him yesterday when he gave a presentation at school about his work. He is quite the hilarious "tortured artist character", but that does not diminish the beauty and art of his photography! He comes from an extremely wealthy family and has lived in many places around the world (he refuses to go to to the US because he disagrees with their foreign policy very strongly). He is quite open about the fact that he still lives with and is supported 100% by his parents. They are very traditional and strict muslims and he's quite an alcoholic/artist, but they are apparently approving enough of his lifestyle to continue to provide him (and his estranged wife and daughter) with living expenses and $$ for drinking and photography equipment. His art focuses on the street beggars and local shopkeepers/rickshaw pullers/vendors/neighborhood folks.
I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of his many hundreds of photos, but there is also a caption with each one that really helps tell the story of the character in the photo. Enjoy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nayeem_kalam/

No comments:

Post a Comment