First, an example of a building all decorated with wedding lights and a flowered entryway. These pop up here and there around town - my theory is that (aside from looking magical in the dark) it's easy to find the wedding if you're attending. They can just say the neighborhood, then guests can see which building the event is in very easily. I don't know if this is what actually happens, but either way, it looks beautiful at night.
We left school late one afternoon and didn't make it down there until after dark, so the shipping barges looked like a city all twinkling in the distance. The first photo is of the tasty snacks and warm beer we had. There was no refrigeration, so I didn't really want a warm beer, but the guys who ran the snack shack sold it pretty hard and we finally agreed. They were also trying to sell the various other kinds of liquor that "fall off" the ships they said. But you had to buy an entire bottle and they were very expensive..... So the warm Heineken actually tasted good for two reasons: because it was different than the crap Bengladeshi beer I normally drink and also, the food was very spicy so I needed something to cool my mouth! We had chatpati (spicy potato, egg, various other tasty bits inside crispy puri shells, served with tamarind/chili water), some masala channa (spiced chick peas) and some peeaj cakes (fried lentil and onions). The (one) beer cost 400 taka (~6 dollars) and the food cost 100 taka (~$1.50).
After successfully eating all this food with no upset stomach , I feel ~almost~ like a local....

No comments:
Post a Comment