Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Traveling



Hello from Bangladesh! This first post is just a few pictures of my trip here....This first one is the airplane I took from Hongkong to Dhaka--the airline is Dragonair and I love their logo!
On this flight, there was another faculty from the US traveling with her husband and little son. It was nice to have other folks in the same boat when we arrived in Dhaka. Once we got to Dhaka, it was 2 in the morning local time and all our luggage (mostly) arrived. The family had lost their stroller and one of my bags was missing something off the top. I think I remember that it was a large folder of papers (not something worth stealing AT ALL) so not really sure what happened....anyway, all the important stuff made it! The school has a guest house in Dhaka and we were transported there for a few hours of sleep before our flight out to Chittagong in the morning. Here's a photo of some monsoon rain clouds outside the airport;
We were transported out onto the tarmac on one of these busses. This next photo is of the crew who escorted us with umbrellas...notice some of them don't have shoes on! Also, I didn't catch it in this photo but the side of the airplane said "dedicated to the Freedom Fighters' from the civil war.

Once we arrived in Chittagong, a driver took us all to our new apartments (photos coming soon-it takes a long time to upload on this 3rd world internet connection!). The following are just a few images from the window of our van through the city. It's difficult to capture how insane the streets are here...hopefully I can take a video sometime soon.
The first is just a few bicycle rickshaws. They're all decorated so beautifully:
The next is of an insane intersection--do you see a streetlight? Don't look too hard--there isn't one. Anywhere. In. The. City. Vehicles ~mostly~ drive on the left here, but as you can see it's pretty much a free for all. The rickshaws drive on either side in either direction as do the CNGs (there's one located on the righthand side--they're green scooterlike things with roofs. CNG =compressed natural gas) We're stopped here waiting for the stream of traffic to cross in front of us. You can't even tell from this picture how many cars and trucks are also mixed in with these other smaller vehicles....
This last one is just quick visual of how it smells here. Keep in mind it's around 90 degrees and 100% humidity.
There are also cows, dogs, people walking and bicycle carts hauling random things. So many things to see, so many questions I have! I have lots of blog topics in my head, so there will be more updates soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment