Sunday, June 5, 2011

Random street images of Thailand

Here are the last few photos from Thailand before I move on with the rest of my trip....

First, a few market photos--there are so many kinds of chilis in Thailand and here are just a few:
We walked through a local vegetable market one morning and it was very interesting....it went on and on and on in HUGE warehouse buildings on both sides of the little street:
They LOVE their seafood there and this lady was selling all sorts of dried seafood bits--fish, squid, octopus, I don't even know what most of it was.......
Here's a photo of some shops selling Buddhist paraphernalia. This street was nothing but these stores selling HUGE statues of Buddha, other images and incarnations of Vishnu, religious icons, etc.

There is so much amazing street food in Thailand of ALL varieties. you are NEVER hungry there because there are food carts everywhere. Most of them are really interesting little carts on wheels with a motorcycle attached to the side--like a mini taco truck but without the enclosed part--they have gas burners, prep areas, everything! I wish I would have gotten more photos of the various kinds of food carts.....here's one image of some VERY tasty mystery snacks. I don't really know what was in them, one was "sweet" and one was "salty" They looked like mini tacos but the salty one had some dried shrimps, coconut flake, and some other stuff I couldn't identify and the sweet ones were really good but totally mysterious to me.....I ate a lot of mystery food in Thailand and most all of it was excellent!
Here's one example of a food cart with some schoolchildren snacking after classes. This one was pretty sophisticated with a photo menu and a seating area...most of them were just piled with cooking utensils, vegetables, other ingredients and you just figured out what they sold by looking at what they were cooking, then walked away with your purchase.
And a few photos of a silver factory/store we "visited". The tuktuk drivers have a scam where they will bring you to one of these places on your way to wherever you actually want to go. They get a commission, often in the form of gas coupons for their vehicle and you get to buy stuff! This one was nice because they had a bunch of workers making the jewelry so I could see them in action:

No comments:

Post a Comment