I saw a lot of Cambodia - I started in the capitol, Phnom Penh, then bussed down to the coastal town of Sihanoukville, then took a bus all the way up to Siem Reap. Consequently, I saw a lot of the countryside and it was very beautiful. This post also contains some street scenes so you can get a better feel for the scenery also.
The first two photos were taken from the back of motorcycle taxis....I love motorcycle taxis! First, here's a traffic circle near my hotel in Phnom Penh which captures the Khmer architecture nicely and displays the flag.

The next is another traffic circle in Sihanoukville with huge, golden, anatomically-correct lions!

And here's a typical market scene in Phnom Penh outside the large daily market--these stalls are selling incense and other offerings for temples.

The next series are from my bus rides. First, I rode a very interesting double-decker "express" bus I was told was fast and direct (no stops). Well.....it made about 100 stops along the way, but there wasn't much I could do about it! The interesting part of the bus was that the lower portion was for cargo and people were allowed to take their motorcycles on. It was a time-consuming process of loading/unloading them because (as you can see) the door is not wide enough for the handlebars to fit through, so it took 2-3 guys to "steer" them inside.....this occurred at many of the stops which did NOT expedite the trip. The photo is looking down the stairway from the upper part of the bus.

The next are some typical, average scenes of the Cambodian countryside....rice paddies:

Water buffalo!

And some average houses:

The next two photos are of some very interesting and mysterious structures I kept seeing EVERYWHERE in the countryside--in front of every house, sometimes multiples in the fields. The first is a bit blurry but illustrates them quite well--they were low plastic rectangle pools that had algae-filled water underneath, plastic sheets hanging from a bar (the first photo they're rolled up, the second photo you can see them down) and most of them also had a long fluorescent light bulb hanging above. I couldn't figure out what they were, but I did ask my students later.....any guesses?


....I thought at first they might be for raising frogs (they eat a lot of frog legs) but they were low and the frogs could just jump out. then I thought maybe they were trap insects to feed their frogs. However, the answer is.....
to attract and trap insects for humans to eat! My student didn't know what the word for the insect is in english, so I don't know what kind they are, but they're nocturnal (hence the light for attraction) and she told me "oh professor--they're SO TASTY! Everyone is eating them all the time!" I did not see any of them around to eat, so I didn't have the adventure of trying their 'tastiness'.
And finally, a photo of the beer factory in that makes every can of Angkor in the country! (seems to also be a pepsi-bottling facility?)
Good luck on the upcoming semester! Thought the journey was over, or perhaps you decided to 'settle' down somewhere in Cambodia. Really all the blogs and pics have been fabulous--thanks for sharing Rainy!
ReplyDelete