Another installment in my Nepal series....I've been so busy lately I haven't had time to keep the blog up to date, but I'm trying for once per week....I certainly have enough photos and topics, just finding the time to upload them and write about them is the tough part.
Anyway, Boudhanath is one of the holiest buddhist temples in Nepal and some say one of the largest Stupas in the world. It was quite impressive and the day was gorgeous. When we arrived, there was a procession of monks and devotees making their way around the base:



There were lots and lots of prayer wheels at various locations in the square and near the dome:

Also thousands of butter lamps - I'd love to see them all lit up! These didn't have wicks in them yet, so maybe they're only offerings?...Sadly I don't know much about buddhism. But I did learn while traveling there that many Nepalis don't make a distinction between buddhism and hinduism and practice a combination of the two. They believe Buddha was the 9th incarnation or form of Vishnu.

One thing I liked is all the incense that filled the air everywhere in Kathmandu. It can get pretty intense at times!

This is a photo of the platforms you can use if you come and pray at the temple. There were a couple people using some, but I felt uncomfortable taking photos of them during their prayers, but I didn't think the dog would mind.

And here's a shot of a very interesting building across the square from the stupa--there were tons of beautiful paintings on the inside.

And a close-up of that same building with a monk looking down:

I'd love to see how they attach the prayer flags to the top of the stupa.....they were so beautiful all flapping and colorful in the sunlight!
you remind me of nepal again!
ReplyDeleteboudhanathstupa kathmandu nepal