Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Traveling in/out of Bangladesh

I took a recent trip to Nepal (there will be many photos to come soon) and it's always an adventure leaving and returning to Bangladesh.
This first photo is boarding the plane in Dhaka on the way to Kathmandu--I was the ONLY woman and the only caucasian on the plane. I realized when I was in the airport there were very few others, but until I was standing in this line, I didn't quite realize how much I stood out. It might not seem that strange, but it's a very alienating and odd vibe for sure. Almost everyone was taking photos as they got on the plane (not sure of what--the plane? the airport? the only white girl?), so I got my camera out for a quick documentation.
This second photo is just a very small segment of the giant luggage piles that populate large portions of the Dhaka airport. I would estimate this frame captures about 10% of the total piles of luggage. It's also where I had to collect my bag.... Who does it all belong to? Will they ever come to pick it up?! There were also insane swarms of mosquitos living amongst them--less than ideal.

It's always good to get out of Bangladesh to see some new sights, but it's also challenging on many levels.....

No comments:

Post a Comment