For those of you who aren't following the ICC Cricket World Cup, it's going on right now and Bangladesh is hosting some of the matches. They have noticeably "cleaned up" Dhaka and Chittagong up in preparation - put up sparkling lights, cleaned the streets, pushed (most) of the beggars and street carts elsewhere (wonder where?...), painted lines on the roads, and painted red/green stripes and flags on every pole and spare building in the city. If you had never been here before, you might not notice how much "cleaner" it really is, but the change was apparent when I returned from a week away.
Anyway, the exciting part of this post:
This past Friday, Bangladesh beat England in a match here in Chittagong and needless to say, it was quite exciting. The game came down to the final few balls, which is rare in Cricket.
It's not that complicated of a game, but despite what westerners often say, it's not really anything like baseball. I couldn't become a big fan because the games are around 8-10 hours long on average.
Anyway, afterwards there was much dancing and cheering in the streets. I had gone to the only bar in town to watch the end of the game with a couple of friends and it just so happened to be at the hotel where the england team was staying. So after the game, thousands of people thronged to the hotel to wait for the team bus to return. I did not hang around to see that happen, but we did get to do some celebrating in the streets with the overjoyed masses. Here are just a couple not-so-great photos. There were THOUSANDS of people up and down this street dancing, chanting, drumming and generally celebrating. Glad I got to experience it!
Notice in this previous photo the holiday lights - those only appeared when the world cup started. The masses of people are lined up on the other side of the road and also on the side of the road I was standing in similar numbers. The guys with walkie-talkies are hotel security.
And, some guys dancing and celebrating victory over the colonialists!!

No comments:
Post a Comment