I bought a dragonfruit at the store the other day to try it--here it is whole:
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Some recent happenings at my apartment
First off, a lot of class prep and grading papers. Here's my table during an especially involved session (can you find the coffee cup and beer can?)
Some things I've been eating lately--a lot of yogurt (or trying to). My initial attempts at making yogurt have trailed off. I can't keep the culture to taste fresh for more than 1-2 batches and the texture isn't that much better from what you can buy. Here is what the best kind of yogurt looks like:
It's watery and a bit chunky and pretty sour. I did try and strain it a couple times and that improved it a lot, but it's kind of a messy process in my tiny kitchen. The pot it comes in is porous clay and often has mold/fungus on the outside. The lid is a piece of wax paper or saran wrap tied with a piece of grass. Everyone eats it though and no one seems to get sick, so it must be friendly mold :-)
I bought a dragonfruit at the store the other day to try it--here it is whole:
And after I peeled and sliced it. It was slightly sweet, not much flavor. The texture is like a heavy jello or dense kiwi and it's full of edible little black seeds. Overall not that impressive, but it was visually interesting!
Another unexpected surprise the other day--red-ringed potatoes! They're so covered in dirt when you buy them, you can hardly tell what color they are--I thought these were maybe blue potatoes, but when I washed them they were a dark red color and then when I sliced them they had a pretty pink ring inside! Here they are before frying them up with my egg for breakfast. Very good texture and flavor to them!
And now we move to the patio where we visit my little spider buddy: He's probably about 1-2 cm long for scale and has very interesting markings! Part of his web is attached to my clothesline, but i let him hang there because he catches a lot of little bugs in his web!
And here are my little basil sprouts one week after I planted the seed! I can't wait--there are certain things you can not find here at all and basil is one of them....

I bought a dragonfruit at the store the other day to try it--here it is whole:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment