Thursday, September 16, 2010

Forest Research Institute

One pretty awesome thing we've (various faculty) discovered recently is the Forest Research Institute. It's only about a 10-15 minute walk from our apartment building. It's a great refuge from the city - there's actually places you can't hear the incessant traffic noise - especially if you go in the morning. It's apparently a large research place--there's a campus-type set up, and a few signs. There are very few people around that look like they work there, but there's always other people taking walks, too. If you're outside, you're never alone in Bangladesh!
I'd like to go back with my bengali neighbor so I can get a bit more translation of signs and maybe ask some questions. I always have so many questions!
But a great place for a walk --birds are chirping, there's shade and pathways to walk on. A few of the trees are labeled (yay!) and there's also a very nice and huge nursery with really cheap plants!
On the walk to the park, there are some nice houses with some great artwork on the side of them (also the ubiquitous moldy/mossy walls and dirty water ditch next to them)


Here's one sign on the way into the official entrance--it's listing various species of plants and some words in Bengali I'm not sure what--it would be awesome if they were locations and I could figure out where they were! I'm actually getting much better at reading bangla script, but even if I can sound words out, they don't mean anything to me--I'm working on speaking more, too....pretty slow going so far, but I feel i'm making progress....I'll keep you updated.
There's also a section of bamboo: I love the name Bambusetum!


And a couple gratuitous flower photos--the first one is just an interesting vine i saw on the street on my walk there. I've never seen one of these! Anyone know what it might be?

There's also an interesting section within the FRI that has some model homes. There's not too many signs, but there are some solar panels on one or two, and some signs that indicate they're relatively secure and safe housing for this region made with sustainable materials?
Here's a photo of me and Meghan on my first walk there--we went a little late in the morning and it was very hot. But we're still wearing our dupattas!
I'm very excited about exploring this place a lot more! Probably more photos of it in the future, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment