The Karnaphuli river is the largest in the region and all the shipping containers come up the Bay of Bengal and come into the mouth of the river to drop their stuff at the port of Chittagong.
Here's a photo of the ships in the river on my way down to the beach:

I have definitely seen more beautiful beaches in my life, but it is somewhat nice to get out of the noisy, dirty city and smell some ocean breeze. I could see over 50 ships from where I stood on the beach:

Here's another shot of the beach with the ships (this is looking west out of the Bay of Bengal). The clouds during monsoon season are really amazing and this is just one example.
The day I was there must have been during a hindu holiday period. There were a few people bringing statues down to the water, as seen here:
And also lots of other statues that had already been immersed and the ocean was breaking them down. You can see the larger one in the foreground and there are few others of various sizes behind it.
Here's an up-close image of one that had been immersed - I would guess maybe the previous day or possibly earlier in the morning? It's quite large (probably 5 feet top to bottom), there's a wire and straw foundation and then they cover it with clay. The clay is then painted and the deity is dressed and decorated before sacrifice into the water.
The tide was out the afternoon I was there and the tiny sand crabs were creating amazing geometric patterns with tiny balls of sand - I don't know why or how, but I sat and watched them for a really long time. The part of the beach that was more unpopulated was literally covered in these:
The crabs are so tiny! The holes they create are no more than 4-5 millimeters across.....as always you can click on the photos to enlarge them. And finally, a picture of some guys having fun playing a game of cricket on the beach:

No comments:
Post a Comment