Basically every single large hauling truck in Bangladesh is painted with beautiful scenery, flowers, birds, patterns, etc. The images on the sides are usually letters that spell out "general transport". This first image is the most typical style - many of them have some sort of repeating flower pattern near the top and a big letter or two in each 'square' of the bed. Then within the letters, there are often more scenes or flowers or birds painted. The backs of the trucks have different images painted on them - pretty scenery mostly, but sometimes animals or more words. This one also has painted mudflaps!

This lubricant tanker has some nice scenery photos--rice paddies, famous buildings and waterfalls.

Another very typical smaller bed truck. There are a LOT of these size of trucks and they mostly all have a yellow cab, blue background and letters with scenes painted within them on the side. Click on the images to see larger versions.

I love that the trucks are so pretty - it makes an otherwise fairly ugly object that spews black exhaust and churns up dust a nicer thing to be blowing by your rickshaw. There are obviously a lot of artists spending a lot of time handpainting these--I would love to go and see where it happens......
************************************
And a funny thing I saw the other day--I tried to get money out of an ATM (I've actually been having quite a few difficulties getting cash and using any credit cards here--when the machine works, I have to take out a LOT because i never know the next time I'll be able to get any will be).
If you'll notice the receipt slot says "advice slip" I wonder what kind of advice I would get from an ATM? Sadly, this machine didn't give me money OR advice. Thankfully it did give my card back which is more than I can say for other machines.....
I love the billboard in the background of your final truck picture. Is that really just an ad for steel?
ReplyDelete