Here's a collection of some recent photos that aren't necessarily classifiable or worth an entire blog post alone.
First, me and little kitty I took care of a few weeks back for a friend--we made friends and he killed a handful of cockroaches for me, too!

*****************************************
All the monsoon rains gave a lot of rainbows, which were nice:
This is outside my apartment window and the rainbow is ending near this raised rotating restaurant. Apparently the restaurant isn't open anymore, but it's a very recognizable landmark on the skyline.

**************************************************
Here's a few of food - the first is a HUGE citrus the locals call
jambura. It's most similar to a pomelo, but tastes more like a big, dry grapefruit. They're really tasty and in season right now. As you can see, also FULL of seeds-I think they're mostly just fiber and vitamin C, both of which I could probably use more of in my life, so I'm trying to eat half of one of these per day. I paid 18 cents for this one.

The next is of fresh-grated coconut which I've been using as much as possible. The only hurdle is that I don't have the big curved machete/knife to cut them open, but my neighbor does and often they give me the coconuts for free, too because their family grows them.

And here's my fast-growing basil enjoying the view from my patio. They're from the seeds my parents sent. I am really loving having it - it's completely unavailable here, so it's a way to get a 'different' non-bangladeshi flavor into my food....this photo was taken a week ago and the plants are already significantly bigger!

And finally, the mobile street-paving setup that was down the street from school this week. These guys were cooking up some asphalt that was smoking and bubbling in these high-tech reaction chambers. We could hardly breathe while we walked by--I can't imagine what it would be like to have that job! There were also a lot of women hauling sand and gravel on their heads that I didn't catch in the photos.

It's no wonder a bunch of us faculty are experiencing asthma-like symptoms lately!
I want some of your fresh coconut Amber! It's so great to see everything that you are doing in Bangladesh. We miss you here in the Bay Area where it's much cooler I'm guessing....
ReplyDeleteTake care sweets!
Andrew