Friday, October 15, 2010

Turtle temple

Last weekend, some of us took a van to the Turtle Temple here in Chittagong for a quick tourist stop. It was another AUW-organized event in that had free transport and no interpretation. I always have so many questions! The wikipedia page had more information than anyone at the temple. Apparently, it's a place where the last group of these huge freshwater turtles in the world live. Worshippers go and tell them their wishes and try to feed them and if they eat your food, your wish has been considered. Here's the funky little pond:
And a couple photos of people wishing/feeding:
You can see the banana on the stick. I wonder what these turtles are supposed to eat in the wild? Probably not bananas and roti....
They were really big, though--some of them were over a couple hundred pounds!

There was also some sort of temple at the top of a small hill above the pond:
and a bunch of graves that I don't know anything about.

There was also a tree with tons of bits of red string tied around its trunk--I saw people tying more pieces on--probably some prayers or wishes
Overall, an interesting, unique, close-by tourist attraction. However, I think our van full of white people was the real attraction!...this was a small portion of the crowd that gathered to watch us leave:

No comments:

Post a Comment