Thursday, April 1, 2010

The concept diagram from my interview

During our very non-traditional interview for this position, we were asked to draw a "concept diagram" of how we saw ourselves contributing to AUW's mission. Here's a photo of mine. I wish I had the other people's to show you and compare. They all looked VERY different. We had to present our work in front of everyone. As you can see, mine looks like a second grader drew it, which is why I'm a scientist and not an artist, I guess.
I didn't even know what a concept diagram was, but apparently it's all the rage in education these days? Most concept diagrams look more like "bubble charts" or "flow diagrams" but I was having a difficult time keeping my ideas and terms in boxes and drawing lines between them, so I showed areas in which I have strengths and things I'm interested in. Then I tried to connect them with sewing stitches, vines, chemical reactions or simply by proximity....The box is the university, the wavy lines on the edge represent women inside and outside the university. Then there are winds and waves of change beginning inside the box and moving out towards the future. The part that's cut off on the upper corner had the equation with the wavelength proportional to frequency on the "winds of change" that are emanating from the "AUW" framework.

2 comments:

  1. Great. Now I have that Scorpions' song "Wind of Change" in my head. Yay for your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The women in your concept diagram are all wearing dresses. How regressive...

    ReplyDelete