The Asian University for Women is the first liberal-arts college in Asia. It is designed to allow underprivileged women who would otherwise not have the opportunity to attend university, a well-rounded university education with the option of obtaining a Master's degree. The students come from many countries in Asia, so it will be a great opportunity to interact with all the varying cultures in one location!
It is currently in its first full year of University (they also have a one-year course to make sure the women's english and other academic skills are up to par) and I will be joining the faculty for its second year on July 1.
All the faculty will come together for 8 weeks before the semester begins to plan and design the curriculum we will be offering once classes begin the end of August.
I will be teaching chemistry, biochemistry and possibly environmental chemistry. I'm not really sure yet, so I am amassing useful textbooks in these general areas to bring with me.
The university is supplying us with furnished apartments, so my cost of living should be very low. They also provide full healthcare (better than any I've ever had so far!), a round-trip ticket home once a year, transportation to and from school each day from our apartments and "survival Bengali" classes.
Hopefully I will be able to travel around the region somewhat while I'm there!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment