Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Thailand part I--Beach

I know it's been a long time since I've posted, but I had an insanely busy past few weeks and then very limited internet access.
I am currently in Thailand catching up on some sleep, relaxing and sightseeing. The sightseeing will come in another post....


First, I went to Koh Samed, an island off the coast about 3 hours' drive south of Bangkok. I came on this trip COMPLETELY unprepared and with no plans, and this place was recommended to me by the guy next to me on the airplane.
It was beautiful, quiet, everything I needed! Here's the view from the first night's arrival--a bit dark, but you can see the large cold beer, the ocean in the background and the dog being fed by other customers at the restaurant (not my favorite aspect, but a sign of the chill nature of the place). This restaurant was so great--low lounge-style chairs on the beach, low tables literally feet from the water and tasty, tasty food.


My travel buddy and I stayed in a nice, cheap little bungalow in a small bay (Ao Wai)--it was the only resort on the bay, so it was pretty much completely isolated except for the few other guests. This whole island is a national park, so it's not all developed and annoying. Here's the view from laying on the beach:
The water was clear, the perfect temperature and the sand (as you can see) an amazing white and of very fine texture.

There is tons of great fresh fruit everywhere--rambutans are in season now and in case you've never seen one, here's what they look like half-opened. It's hard to describe the taste, but it's sort of like a lychee, with a grape texture and a weird pit in the middle. I love their crazy, pink/green hairy spines.
The resort had really beautiful gardens/plants/ponds, etc. Here's one of the nice little water features:The plumeria/frangipani are in bloom and perfume the air with an amazing smell:
There are tons of buddhist shrines everywhere and here is the one on the beach at the resort:

Here's a shot of Kaniu (my travel buddy) and I enjoying some beer on the beach:And a shot of us on the boat back to the mainland:
There are lots more travel adventures in my near future, so stay tuned!......

No comments:

Post a Comment